This proposal focuses on forages and feed as a key opportunity for driving sustainable intensification of crop livestock systems in Tanzania. In 2013-2014, the livestock component was divided into two work packages
- Screening and integrating forages in systems and improved use of crop residues and
- Developing feeds for indigenous poultry from local feed resources
In 2014-2015, the two work packages have been merged into an integrated livestock feeds component (ILF) to enhance integration. This component is designed to have three sub components as follows:
- The first sub component revolves around screening forages, testing them with farmers and integrating them into existing farming systems.
- The second sub component is enhanced integration of crop residues in smallholder farms through improved storage, processing and utilization for ruminants.
- The third sub component is concerned with improved management and feeding strategies with emphasis on utilization of local feed resources for indigenous poultry.
Photo credit: ILRI Flickr